Researcher/Director/Writer/Actor – National Theatre of Greece
Short Bio Information
I studied theatre acting and directing at the National Theatre of Drama Greece, film directing at New York College in Athens & University of Greenwich (2020) and I took courses about playwriting in the Society of “Greek Theatrical Writers”
Untill now I have directed more than 50 plays and collaborated with the National Theater of Greece, National Theater of China, Theatrical Organization of Cyprus, Municipal Regional Theaters of Patras, Corfu, Agrinio while directing plays in Athens, Lesvos and Italy. These plays have been performed in Greece and Cyprus.
The fields of research are related to the training of young directors as well as techniques and methods related to ancient Greek tragedy, Shakespeare, Chekhov, French and Scandinavian theater as well as worldwide contemporary and Greek drama. Other areas of research include: the philosophy of theatrical texts, promotion of theatrical works in screening, in non-conventional theatre areas: in prisons and museums and educational theatre.
More specifically: Studies
. 2019 – 2020
Film Studies – Directing – University of Greenwich (June 2020 BA Hons)
New York College – Film Studies
under the direction of Dimitris Panagiotatos
They taught: Pantelis Voulgaris, Efthymis Hatzis, Vicky Hassandra, Katerina Maragoudaki, Sofia Kyriakou, Vangelis Antonopoulos, George Mavrosparidis, Electra Venaki, Voula Georgakakou, Eva Stefani.
National Theater Experimental Scene
Workshop of Acting and Directing
under the direction of Stathis Livathinos
They taught: Stathis Livathinos, Slobodan Unkowski, Irina Prombtova, Andrei Stutkin, Dimitris Immelos, Tamila Kulieva, Theodoris Abazis, Mariela Nestora.
Workshop of Ancient Drama
graduates of the National Theater School
under the direction of Yagos Andreadis
- 1990 – 1993
Acting – Diploma
Drama School of National Theater
under the direction of Tassos Roussos
Taught: Mary Aroni, Nikos Tzogias Maria Skountzou George Michaelides, Iakovos Psaras, Koniordou Lydia, Mary Chatziargyri, , Maria Hors, Nikos Papakonstantinou, Helen Georgiadou, Stefanos Vassiliadis, Olympia Kyriakaki, Christopher Mpoumpoukis and Chrisoula Tsardi.
Writing Theater Works
Workshop of Young Greek Theatrical Writers of EETH
Under the direction of Stratis Karras
They taught: Vasilis Andreopoulos, Nikos Zakopoulos, Melpo Zarokosta, Iakovos Campanellis, Stratis Karras, Thanos Kotsopoulos, Paulos Matesis, Michael Meraklis, Lakis Michailidis, Georgios Bambiniotis, Lambraki-Plaka Marina, George Pontikas, Maria Lampadaridou-Pothou, Andreas Panagopoulos , Tasos Roussos.
- 2018: Received the award from the international English magazine “Acquisition International” for its entire work: “Business Excellence Winner – Theater Director of the Year 2018
- 2015: First Prize of the LIVE-LOVE-RIDE play at the Valitsa Theater Festival.
- 2008: Third Prize at the GREEK SINGLE PARTNERSHIP COMPETITION organized by the Rhodes International Translation Center and DIPETHE Rhodes. With the one-act “Silence”
- 2006: First Prize for Theater Work at the 2nd Aegean Theater Writers Competition from the Homeric Cultural Center of Chios Municipality with the play “Arion” for children
- 1991: First Poetry Prize at the Panhellenic Competition of the literary magazine Magazine with the poem “Oh!” Love »
Academic Papers published in Springer 2018
- “Actors in a Museum: Towards an Innovative Theatre Stage” in 7th ICSIMAT, Athenian Riviera, Greece 2018 https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-030-12453-3_57
- “Follow the Trail of Culture Through Time: The Use of Archeological Sites as Performance Space”in collaboration with Katerina Nikolopoulou 7th ICSIMAT, Athenian Riviera, Greece 2018
TEDxAthens 2017 “Shakespeare in prison – Escape”
- 2011: “Composing theatre for children” in cooperation with Cyprus Theatre Organisation
- 2011: “Creative Writing” & “Dramatising Literature Texts” in cooperation with Local Government Of North Aegean Region, in Municipal Regional Theatre of Patras, in Greek-German Treatment.
- 2012-2015“Directing in Chekhov”-“Days of Chekhov”
- 2015-2016: Directing in Shakespeare-“Days of Shakespeare” in Multi venue Art & Expression + émotion
- 2015: “From the Canvas of the Painter up to Stage” in cooperation with Institute of Education Policy.
- 2018: “The player of the moment” in cooperation with Institute of Education Policy.
- 2019: “Meeting Shakespeare’s Villains” Theatre Workshop The American College of Greece
Korydallos Prison – Research Prison Theatre Program 2016 – 2020
In corporation with National Theatre of Greece
- 2020 “The Persians” – Aeschylus (Work in progress)
- 2019: “Glengarry Glen Rose” -David Mamet
- 2018:“Ward No. 6”- Anton Chekhov
- 2017: “The tempest”- William Shakespeare
- 2016 : “The guest” based on Kipling’s poem “if”-Devised Theatre – supportive by Therapy centre for dependent individuals
Benaki Museum–Research Theatre Program with title – From the Silence of the Display Case to Living Theatrical Voices” 2016 – 2018
In corporation with National Theatre of Greece
- 2018:“3 Kriezotou Street” The 30’s generation of Greek Poets -– The Ghika Gallery
- 2018: “About Alexandros”- The legends of Alexander the Great – “Iskandar Name” – Persian Poetry 12th century – Museum of Islamic Art
- 2017: ”What the old man said”- The life of Theodoros Kolokotronis and the Greek War for Independence in 1821 -Main Building – Collection of Historical Heirlooms
- 2017:”Erofili’s needlework” based on Erofili by Chortatsis-Main Building – Post – Byzantine and Neo Hellenic Art.
- 2017:”Twelve heads of Garlic and Fifteen onions”-12th Century Byzantine poet by Theodoros Prodromos.-Main Building –Byzantine Art
- 2016: ”Philoctetes”- The Initiation of Neoptolemos”-Sophocles -Main Building – Prehistoric – Ancient Greek and Roman Art
National Theatre – Experimental Stage
- 2006: «Honour the Mother and the Father from The Ten Commandments» – Devised theatre
- 2004 – 2005: “The Kreutzer Sonata” by Leo Tolstoy, adaption by Stratis Panourios – National Theatre of Greece – Experimental Theatre.
Cyprus Theatre Organization
- 2011: ”Three princesses dancing and singing” by Stratis Panourios-Children Theatre
- 2009: “The gift” by Stratis Panourios- Children Theatre
Municipal Regional Theatre of Patras
- 2014: «Happy birthday Mr. Shakespeare» Municipal Regional Theater of Patras, by Stratis Panourios.
- 2013: “The Boy With A Suitcase”- Mike Kenny
- 2013: “Outis Suite” based on Homer’s Odyssey
Municipal Regional Theatre of Agrinio
- 2008: “The Fearless” by Stratis Panourios
Municipal Regional Theatre of Corfu
- 2008: The Beauty and the Beast by Xenia Kalogeropoulou and Thomas Moschopoulos
Society of “Cultural Attempts”
- 2015:“The Death Of The Nile” by Agatha Christie
- 2015:“waiting for Godot” by Samuel Beckett
- 2015: “The Maids” by Jean Genet
- 2015: “One night with Tennessee” one act plays by Tennessee Williams
- 2014: “The importance of being Earnest”-Oscar Wild
- 2014:”The swansong”-Anton Chekhov
- 2013:”The cherry Orchard”- Anton Chekhov
- 2012:”The seagull”- Anton Chekhov
- 2011: ”The Present is sold”-One Act plays by Stratis Panourios
- 2010: ”Comedia”- by Stratis Panourios
Cultural organisation “Kochili”
- 2015 :“Live or Ride” by Stratis Panourios
- 2014: “Earth’s Song” by Stratis Myrivilis. Co-Production Organization “Kochili” and the North Aegean region.
- 2012 “Strindberg Marathon – Paria”, ‘Swedish Institute of Athens’
- 2012 :”BLÄSTRAD”by Mats Kjelbye
- 2012: “Odysseus treasure” based on Homer’s Odyssey in Academia Theatre.
- 2010: “The Emperor of Portugal” by Selma Lagerlöf, Swedish Institute of Athens.
- 2009: “The Colored Books» Dramaturgy stories of Stratis Myrivilis. Tour in Lesvos Island and the prefecture of Aitoloakarnania. A co-production of the Municipal Regional Theater of Agrinio and the Cultural Organization “Kochili”
Local Government of North Aegean Region
- 2009: “Eternal Wives” Adaptation of Mark Twain’s short story,” The Diaries of Adam and Eve – Adaption by Stratis Panourios, «Performances in Georgiadis Mansion as part of the Festival “Love – Death,” Mytilene. A production of the Prefecture of Lesvos.
- 2008: “A spoonful of Sweet Cherry” Dramaturgy by Lilly Meleme. Performances in Georgiadis Mansion as part of the Festival “Meetings of contemporary art with tradition” a production of the Prefecture of Lesvos.
- 2008: “Nikos Kavadias poetry”
- 2007 – 2008: “Readings” Tribute to Elias Venezis, Argyris Eftaliotis, Stratis Myrivilis – Nikos Kavadias. Municipality of Mytilene
- 2007: “I wanted to say this memory” The Story of a mansion of Mytilene through texts and poems of Stratis Anastellis, Vasilis Samiotis, Nikos Athanasiadis, Odysseus Elytis, Alcaeus, Sappho and newspaper headlines Lesbian Releases 19th and 20th century. A production of the Prefecture of Lesvos.
- 2004: “Theophilus Hadjimichael – Thyrophylax(Gatekeeper)” A play inspired by the life and work of the homonymous painter with the support of the House of Theophilus, Ministry of the Aegean and the Prefecture of Lesvos, Dramaturgy – by Fotis Marazopoulos.
Hellenic Centre of the international theatre Institute/ Forum of Contemporary plays
- 2009: “For Julia” by Margareta Garpe, – BIOS Theatre
- 2008: “Locusts”by Biljana Srbljanovic – BIOS Theatre
- 2007: “Panic” by Mika Millyaho, Athens in multicultural centre BOOZE
Shaolin theatrical performance “The guardian-protector of the Shaolin Temple” The gong fu school of “Shaolin Temple Secular Disciple’s Union in Greece”
- 2016:“The guardian-protector of the Shaolin Temple” Second Versionby Shì miào diān in Vembo Theatre – Athens
- 2014: “The guardian-protector of the Shaolin Temple” First Version by Shì miào diān in Michael Cacoyiannis Foundation Centre (MCF)
Stathmos Theatre – Athens
- 2015: “Fahişe Çika” by Thomas Korovinis
University of Piraeus
- 2013:“Three sisters ”- Anton Chekhov
- 2012:”Dear Me” – Devised theatre
Fine Art School
- 1998: ‘Psimithies’ by Stratis Panourios a production of the Theater Group “En Plo”
Theatre Dentro Cyprus
- “2019 “Doctor Glas” by Hjalmar Söderberg
- 2019: “TheThreeTragedians”-Aeschylus, Sophocles and Euripides come back to Athens after 2500 years to see what their theater and tragedies have done.
- 2011: “Comedia”-A play inspired by Luigi Rigoboni’s script “The Italian Married in Paris”
- 2003: “Arion’sJourney”-A play that I wrote on the occasion of my son’s birth.
- 2008: “TheFearless”-A Fairy Tale Inspired by the Grimm Brothers’ Story,
- 2009: “TheGift”-A Fairy Tale Inspired by Jeff Brumbeau’s Fairy Tale “The qiultmakers’s gift”.
- 2011: “Threeprincessesdancingandsinging”-A play about the birth of my daughter and the story of her name.
- 2014: “HappyBirthdayMr. Shakespeare- «A fantastic meeting of William Shakespeare with his son after 450 years».
- 2015: “Live-Love-Ride”-A demonstration of safe motorcycle riding in collaboration with YAMAHA.
One act plays
- 2011: “Thepresentissold”-six single acts for the economical crisis in Greece.
- 2010: “P.I.N”-“The Impact of Financial Lending during the lifetime of a Greek householder”.
- 2008: “IlSilenzio”-A one-act single play dedicated to my father and the Greeks who fought the Nazis in World War II.
- 1998: “Psimithies”:”The agony of a hagiographer about hiscreating in nowadays”.
- 2000: “Lily”Theatrical adaptation inspired by the novel“Nathaniel HawthorneThe Lily’s Quest or Apologue 1837”.
Research projects (Books)
- “TempestDiary” duringPrisonTheatreProgram, my directing diary from the beginning of rehearsals to the completion of Shakespeare’s performance.
- “PrisonChekhov” duringPrisonTheatreProgram, Chekhov watches and narrates the creation of “Chamber No. 6 “played in prison by prisoners.
- “Directinginamuseum”, the timeline of the creation of six performances into the three buildings that house the permanent collections of Benaki Museum, a directing and acting handbook.
- MettingChenYing-“My Diary as an Associate Director and Actor in Ji Junxiang’s Zhao the Orphan Theater Work, my collaboration with director Wang Xiaoying and his colleagues from the National Theater of China”.
- “Shakespeare on Mars” –Novel-A novel describing William Shakespeare’s fantastic visit to Athens in 1601 before writing “Timon the Athenian”.
- “The Shakespearians” –Narrative-A dialogue between Shakespeare and Middleton regarding how his works could be translated be played around the world after 400 years.
- “The Veterans of Agamemnon” A study of the director’s anxiety about solving the puzzle of Aeschylus’ Agamemnon’s chorus interpretation.
All the above are about to be published in summer 2020 titled as “Directing Beyond Space and Time”